- Provides flexibility for a DBA to run multiple APEX versions in an Oracle Multitenant Container Database.
- Customers are always advised to install latest version of APEX. The version of APEX that is bundled with the Oracle Database is quickly out of date.
- Reduces the Oracle Database upgrade time if APEX is not installed.
- Will result in less space consumption on disk and in the Database.
- Consistent with the deployment of Application Express in the Oracle Database Cloud
- Consistent with our recommendations in Oracle documentation and from Mike Dietrich, Product Manager for Oracle Database Upgrade & Migrations.
- Reduces the attack surface for Oracle Multitenant Container Databases which do not require APEX.
- Requires more steps for customers to get up and running with APEX in a new Oracle Database. (Granted, this would be with the version of APEX that is bundled with the Oracle Database, which as cited earlier, can get out of date rather quickly).
With all this said, a few things remain unchanged:
- Oracle Application Express will continue to be a fully supported and included Oracle Database feature
- Oracle Application Express will continue to ship with the Oracle Database 12cR2, in directory $ORACLE_HOME/apex.
- It will continue to be supported to install and run Oracle Application Express in the "root" of an Oracle Multitenant Container Database
- It will continue to be supported to install and run Oracle Application Express locally in a pluggable database in an Oracle Multitenant Container Database
- Oracle Application Express will be an installable component in the Oracle Database Creation Assistant (DBCA)